Transparent images and Die comparison

I’ve posted about this technique and its potential before but new features in MS PowerPoint make it even easier to make an image transparent.

So Schaefer’s archive only had one specimen illustrating controlmark Cr 174 = Babylon 145 and those of you familiar with Esty’s method for estimating the original number of dies know that the singleton count is really important.  So I went looking for more with the help of Hersh’s unpublished work on control marks.

BINGO!  Not a true singleton!  BUT at first the Schaefer image was of a really worn coin and so I was unsure of the die match. (This may seems non-nonsensical with the controlmarks, but imitations exist and in a few cases more than one die was used per controlmark but that is really unusual on this series.)  I decided to do a side by side first.  AND then I confirmed the die link by using a transparent overlay.  (RRC 384/1, Papius)

The Paris specimen in Gallica (better for images); and in BnF catalogue (better for searching)

Slide3.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide1.JPG

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s