Days 5-6 were the weekend. And, now that I have a family, I have a better appreciation of the need to stop oneself from working every possible moment.
Grueber 1910 (see last post) cited Borasi 1898 and it is indeed it not only has a very nice sketch/transcription of the stone, but also a discussion of the earlier speculations on the coin including background to the historical dating of it and a little on what was known then on the cult of Bellona in the region. Perhaps fuel for deeper digging
Borasi and others keep mentioning a hybrid type with Augustus and RRC 486/1 and the legend “imp. Caes. Augus, tr. pot. iix.” as reported by Borghesi. I wondered if any of these hybrids have turned up more recently. I’ve not tracked one down yet, but I did come across TWO fun Spanish hybrid types using the obverse of RRC 407/2 and the reverse of RIC 1 404 (or 405). Kind of wild they use different dies but from the same types.
I don’t think these goddesses are Oak Nymphs or Oak-Grove Lares (Querquetulanae) anymore than they were Larch trees, but its always good to review the evidence, before dismissing it.
Not my most satisfying warm up writing, but good enough… on to the lists.
Spend EVEN MORE time with Dionysius
- More Italy visit logistics
- More Rutgers coordination as needed
- More Princeton coordination as needed
Dr. Liz letter
Not Today (but maybe tomorrow, or the day after)
- Teaching requests for Fall 2023
- Circle back to department about any Jan planning meetings
- Book flights
- Set time table for any collaborative RRDP work/publication prep that needs to happen this semester: Chicago pub, INC pub, collaboration with RACOM, etc…
- Circle back to Capito project
- Consider ask for funding from Dean’s office
- Begin Med school rec letter
- record mini myth
- find out what is on that v old harddrive and back up to cloud
- follow up with Lafayette
- Write up Teaching Eval
- Follow up old student/tree sunset
- Rosen Fellowship refs
- Finalize AAH logistics
- Cancel at least one more digital membership
- renew Coinarchives